Saturday, September 28, 2024

Attending their soccer games

When I was in high school, I went out for wrestling.  I also was the sergeant of the drum and bugle corps.  I found I was too little and light for the football team but I did play the role of Captain Quegg in "The Caine Mutiny" in my senior year.  In college, I continued to wrestle.  My college was a teacher's college with 80% of the students female.  It tried to make a substitution of soccer for American football and it worked pretty well. I played soccer for the first fall season I was there but I was poor at the sport and scattered and didn't play after that.  


Throughout high school and college, my parents did not attend my activities.  I never felt deprived or slighted or unloved.  The activities were quite fun in themselves.  Two of my four greatgrandchildren are advanced soccer players and have already far surpassed my soccer playing level.  I admire them both and hope for even more success for them but I have sat through enough games as a spectator.  I may show up as a fan again but if I don't, it doesn't mean I am not rooting for them and more wins.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby