Monday, July 15, 2024

Perception first

As a graduate student in psychology, I wasn't enthusiastic about a course in psychophysics.  It was mostly about perception: eyes, ears, touch and how they work.  I was told that perception is the basis of our impressions of the world and that perception precedes and strongly affects our thinking.


We wore distorting lenses, tested the relative sensitivity of our hands and our backs and learned about what we can and cannot hear.  I can see now that perception is fundamental.  I am reviewing some of the ebooks I bought, having too many that I have paid for but never read.  On top of not reading, there is the C.S. Lewis matter of the fun and worth of re-reading something read years ago.


I am looking through 

A User's Guide to the Brain: Perception, Attention, and the Four Theatres of the Brain by John Ratey, MD. He is a good writer and he gets my head going.  Much about perception these days is about people with strong modifications in their perception processes.  The book "A Mind at a Time" by Mel Levine is a good one for learning and thinking about what perception difficulties can do to distort and limit learning and development in children.  The book by Ed Yong, "An Immense World", did a memorable job on my picturing the better or more limited sight, hearing, sense of smell that some animals have that I don't.  


If there is one fact about us humans that matters, it may be that we differ, from one to another.  You can add to that our changing from birth to old age

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby