Saturday, December 16, 2023

What did it?

We still have a landline.  I like its dependability.  It is always available, with its trusty answering machine.  The telephone sets and the answering machine are Panasonics, a brand I like. In order to be both reachable and able to send messages, for years, I carried what I guess was a "burner" phone, a pre-paid Tracfone.  Lynn has an iPhone, which I guess is the leading smartphone in the world.


I want to avoid being bothered by ads and other trivia and I get very few calls when I am not home.  The Trac phone never got really worked on and it didn't have all my contact numbers.  My experience has been such that I fully grasp and appreciate that a laptop computer is ever so much more powerful than a phone of any kind.  I use a HP external keyboard every day and I can move it to another computer and still have the same keys in the same place.  Since I didn't have a smartphone and didn't have any apps, I realized I should try them. 


Roger Bullis told me about a sale on Motorola phones and I bought one.  I use it as my phone contact when not home. Lynn uses her iPhone.


One day, hers stopped ringing.  It was not set to do that.  She checked and there seemed to be no reason.  The ringer was not turned off.  She took it to a phone shop and they fixed it.  It works as it should now.   I asked her what they did to it and she said,"They don't know."  I think that is stunning.  Are iPhones spiritual? Are they vulnerable to demonic possession?  Are they overly complex, to the point that trained technicians perform steps in such great numbers that the actual helpful ones are buried too deep to be knowable?

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby