Sunday, December 3, 2023

Loosing It

I have atrial fibrillation, a heart problem.  My nurse-practitioner wonders if afib contributes to my symptoms of falls (4 times).  I have other weird events such as being confused during drives on routes that I have taken many times before.  My wife's brother has had somewhat similar events such as being unable to recognize relatives with whom he had interacted for years and not recognizing that he has a coat closet off the room where he lives in a home for older people with Alzheimer's disease and similar problems.  


When we first married, 63 years ago, Lynn paid our bills.  We were strapped for funds and the bills made her nervous.  So, I took over paying them.  She wanted to contribute to our maintenance so she took over paying charities.  She pays our contributions to charities and politicians. In this time of political polarization, covid and electronic communication, charities and political contributions are a big deal. She gets much more pleading mail asking for money than I do.


But my symptoms have her worried and in anticipation of my dying or being incapacitated, she wanted me to let her watch me pay our bills.  So, the other day, she sat with me and I paid our bills slowly with explanations of what I do and why.  It was surprising how much of what I do has a historical basis from previous times and methods.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby