Thursday, June 22, 2023

"Quench", a book

I feel that this book I am recommending is life-changing.  It has been for me.  The book is "Quench" by Dana Cohen, MD and Gina Bria, cultural anthropologist.  My blog of June 10 tells about my surprise at being diagnosed as inadequately hydrated.  When I was younger, I was bewitched with the idea of drinking adequate water.  Over time, I became convinced that I could get by with less.  However, since the diagnosis and reading "Quench", I have felt genuinely renewed: younger and more spry.


Ads for the 2018 book made it clear that the authors searched long and hard.  I did know that dehydration is a major problem of older people.  They may get bored with the subject but more importantly, they lose some ability to feel thirst.  "Quench" caught my attention because ads for it stated that the authors discuss diet, eating vegetables for their water content and pay less attention to actual drinking.  I gather that Cohen, the MD, was not the impetus for the book so much as Gina Bria.  She was so taken by the value of adequate hydration that she founded the Hydration Foundation. https://hydrationfoundation.org/


After a couple of weeks of working at 50 oz. consumed, a pint at a time, through the day, I can clearly feel that the diagnosis has helped me considerably.  I was impressed that the first blurb on the back cover was by the physician Christiane Northrup.  She praises the book's emphasis on the body's connective tissue, fascia, as a major water transport and delivery system to all parts of us.  Do yourself a favor and read the book.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby