Friday, June 16, 2023

Meditation and bleeding

Sometimes I ask friends and acquaintances if they meditate. They usually answer with something like "I should".  It was in the mid 70's that I learned about meditation.  I learned enough that I thought college students and teachers would benefit from developing a habit of meditating.  As with praying, there are a number of ways of giving yourself over to being still and focusing your attention on the internal awareness of you.  


One of the main things is that doing so is easy, inexpensive and immediately available.  There are instructors, leaders, courses and tons of books and videos about what to do and how to do it.  My main approach is not to ask myself for an hour or a week or day but for a minute or maybe 10-15.  Find a good chair (no need to sit in a lotus position unless you want to), place yourself in good posture, close your eyes and sit.  I say an audible timer that sounds after 5, or 10, or 15 minutes is a help.  You may find yourself wondering when the timer will ring, why doesn't it hurry up?  You may find yourself wondering if "you are doing it right",  You are.  It's good to get to know the internal you.


The other thing referred to in today's title is 'bleeding'.  I have been on a blood thinner for several years but only recently found out about BleedStop and Wound Seal, two products to help stop bleeding.  I accidentally gave myself a small cut on the shin and Lynn went out and bought some BleedStop and some WoundSeal.  If you have a small cut that won't stop bleeding, it is handy to have either product on hand.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby