Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Idea trapping

As we experience more senior moments, those times when we can't think of a name that we have known for a long time, it can be helpful to have pen and paper to jot down a description of who or what we are trying to recall.  Lately, I have been carrying a scrap piece of paper and a small ballpoint in my pocket for ideas and themes for a blog post or a reminder to call a friend.  I have also learned from experience that interesting or subtle themes and comparisons come to mind that are too subtle or rare to remember.  Sometimes, I get an idea that seems worthy of description and expansion but it is too slippery or background-ish to be likely to ever occur to me again.  That's a good one to write about.


Yesterday, an idea came back to me and I recognized it as one I have been wanting to write about but I have forgotten it again.  I didn't write it down but I thought some of my blog notes might include it or successfully prompt it to me again.  No luck so far.


One idea I do know I have been meaning to repeat is that we can select feelings we want instead of having our brains create feelings we don't want.  Lisa Feldman Barrett makes clear in her book "How Emotions Are Made" that we can toss feelings we don't want and create what we do.  That might seem like heaven and continuous joy or amusement is available but I don't mean that.  I seem to be constructed to want and need irritation, impatience or boredom from time to time.  But I enjoy questioning myself and my thoughts and offering myself possibly attractive alternatives when I want them. 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby