Saturday, May 13, 2023

My book club selection

Daniel Kahneman and Amos Tversky warned me back in 1968 about anchoring.  They said that when a painter offers to paint my room for $100, that price of $100 may well serve as an anchor for my thinking.  Offers for less are "cheaper" while offers for a higher price are "more expensive".  The anchor serves much like the zero on the Farenheit temperature scale, a reference point.


When my book club decides on the next book, my brain refers to a price for the book using the reference point of $9.99 for an e-copy.  That price or lower is ok and higher isn't ok.  If I am not enthusiastic about a book and the price is above my reference point, I often look for a summary of the book.  Cliff's Notes are still around but there are alternatives sometimes.  I am persnickety and don't want a long summary.


The club discusses a book, which is a complicated social event. It can involve a wide range of questions and comments.  I try somewhat to be a good member of the group but even knowing the book by heart doesn't guarantee that I will contribute valuable comments.  I realize that I make some contribution by showing up and commenting when appropriate.


A participant in a talk I gave recently said that he saves money and gets ideas about a book from YouTube.  He said that between authors, booksellers and publishers promoting a book  and comments and presentations related to it, he picks up plenty of information about a book and even its effect, reception by others and opinions about it and related works.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby