Thursday, May 11, 2023

Charged with being an information junkie

My wife of more than 60 years says I am an information junkie.  t.ly/YiZdC  (short Firefox link to "information junkie").  I prefer the description: curious.  As I look over the first couple results of that linked search, I find that several of the links would take me to information (!) on how to stop being an information junkie.  I feel, as I guess many junkies do, that my curiosity is under reasonable control.  I am not seeking to be less curious.  


I read that Google search will soon include a link to the much ballyhooed ChatGPT, the bot that can answer questions.  But I have found that sensible questions and weird ones both can be answered or extended right now with Google search and with Duckduckgo search.  Not long ago, I searched "How can I get her to love me more?" As usual, I got some responses from experts, advisors, nuts, and sensible scholars, too.  


When I search in Google, I get a number that represents how many results the search has turned up.  I don't get such a number in Duckduckgo but maybe it is available somewhere somehow.  I just put "information junkie" in Google and got the number 38,400,000 for the number of results.  With a somewhat typical search like that, I wouldn't bother trying to see all the results.  I imagine that after a dozen or so pages of results, the relevance would drop plenty.  I don't have the interest or the stamina to go very far into the results.


There have been some searches that only reported a few results.  


If you are interested in being a search junkie, look at "The Joy of Search" by Daniel M. Russell.  He is a Google employee and works in search.  He heads a group that participates in searches, much like people on Jeopardy participate in answering questions.  I get notices from Russell every now and then but the topics have not been of interest.  


Google often shows questions that people have asked about any topic of search.  Reading the questions often suggests related topics and avenues of thought that are valuable.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby