Wednesday, March 15, 2023

Old-fashioned AI

ChatGPT   t.ly/5SyY


This is the chat bot that has gotten much publicity and hoopla.


I like to use Google Search for all kinds of questions that come to me or come up in conversation and communication.  I recently Googled the question "How can I make her love me more?"  As usual, I got what seemed like pretty good answers.  I was just exploring and was not actually seeking to get anyone to love me more.  


I wrote my dissertation in 1968, way back in time.  We had computers and I used the computer "language" Fortran to help me with my data analysis but just as seen in older sci fi movies, there were enormous cabinets of electronic components, not personal laptops and certainly not cellphones, let alone smartphones.  


Yesterday's blog post about pi, the ratio of the diameter to the circumference of a circle, and many other things, brought up the question of What is random?  Here is one answer:

Dictionary

Definitions from Oxford Languages · Learn more

ran·dom

/ˈrandəm/

See definitions in:

all

statistics

building

adjective

adjective: random

  1. 1.

  2. made, done, happening, or chosen without method or conscious decision.
    "a random sample of 100 households"

    • Statistics
      governed by or involving equal chances for each item.
      "a random sample of 100 households"
      h
      Similar:
      unsystematic

arbitrary

unmethodical

haphazard

unarranged

unplanned

undirected

casual

indiscriminate

nonspecific

stray

erratic

chance

accidental

hit-and-miss

serendipitous

fortuitous

contingent

adventitious

nonlinear

entropic

fractal

aleatory

stochastic

h

Opposite:

systematic

  • planned

  • (of masonry) with stones of irregular size and shape.

2.

informal•

often derogatory

View definition

  • informal
    odd, unusual, or unexpected.
    "the class was hard but he was so random that it was always fun"

noun informal

noun: random; plural noun: randoms

  1. an unknown, unspecified, or odd person.
    "I just sat down by myself and talked to some randoms"

I thought readers might be interested in inexpensive chat bot assistance.  

These old tools can be employed in an Artificial Intelligence way.  You just set a question, such as "should I buy a new car?"  You write down H=Yes and you flip one of Artificial Intelligence tools in the air.  Letting it fall on a carpet or mattress so that it doesn't roll, you read which side landed up.  If it is not heads, keep saving for a while.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby