Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Haka

A few weeks ago, my yoga teacher invited us to assemble by the river on a grassy lawn and do some yoga.  We did and in the midst of it, I was reminded of the New Zealand Maori and their practice of haka.The New Zealand rugby team "All Blacks" is famous for performing haka in front of the fans before a match.  Google tells me there are several kinds of haka but the one I know about is a modification of a war dance.


The performances feature two moves that seem characteristic: standing in a slight squat with thighs spread apart and tongue thrust out in an aggressive and utterly dismissive posture.  Having a group of very sturdy-looking men yelling, thrusting their tongues out and looking quite fierce is done to be intimidating and it works.


If you have not seen a performance of haka, I recommend you use Google to find a video and watch.  It doesn't take long, maybe five or ten minutes.  It is worth seeing.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby