Friday, November 26, 2021

Overpowering sequence

It is time for me to draw a halt, or at least a pause, in buying books.  I don't know how many times the Amazon computer has had to inform me that the book I was trying to buy is one I already own. Getting more and more books "of interest" doesn't make sense.  Amazon makes a good file of Kindle books in my library, including when I bought them.  


I can't always remember every book I have, not even every book I have read.  Ok, not even every book I have read in the last year.  C.S. Lewis was a professor of literature and in his "An Experiment in Criticism", he pictures a woman in front of a shelf of books trying to remember if she has read the book in her hands or not.  In my class of graduate teachers, I encouraged them to think back over a list of titles, find one that has escaped their mind or one that they remember fondly and try reading it again.  Sometimes, an old favorite shows merit and power again and sometimes it really does not, now that the reader has grown older, more experienced and more sophisticated.  


Looking over books bought more than 10 years ago but not titles I recognize, I saw "Time Paradox" by Phillip Zimbardo.  I knew the name from reading about his prison experiment but didn't remember having even opened the Time book once. I downloaded it to my Kindle and started in.  The information about the book and the man included information about a popular, highly rated tv production called Discovering Psychology.  I found the series on a website and watched some of the first episode.  I really enjoyed the two sections about middle school girls and middle school boys being introduced to very attractive teachers.


https://www.learner.org/series/discovering-psychology/past-present-and-promise/


The part I am mentioning runs on the tape from about 5:20 to 9:27

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby