Thursday, July 15, 2021

Stet

I saw a word game advertised.  Lynn plays computer games online and she knows many words.  The game is called "Stet" and I bought it.  I told her and she said she knew what "stet" meant.  I had never heard the word and has assumed it was just a made-up name for the game.  She said it is used by copyeditors and it means "I have changed my mind and the alternation I suggested should be ignored."  I looked up the definition and found a statement that the word means "let it stand".  


I think human choice and decision-making is fascinating.  I wrote my dissertation about mathematical decision making.  I was quite surprised when a friend said "I've read your dissertation".  That was the first time since it was written in 1968.  It is called "An Application of Decision Theory to Education" and you can see it here:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxraXJieXZhcmlldHl8Z3g6NGNiMjhlZTVjYjM2ZjJiYQ


When people make a decision formally, they can be pretty careful to list reasons for and against having dinner out or whatever they are considering.  Benjamin Franklin wrote a semi-formal method in his autobiography (1791) but his method and many others often assume a single decision made once.  I am confident that modern interface designers and smart device coders allow for undoing, rejecting a decision after changing one's mind.  A human can decide, undo, re-do.  I looked up What is the world record for undoing and re-doing? but I didn't find any good answer.  


Real-world decision making by humans can be very tricky and that is not even allowing for intuition, bribes, purposeful spite, trickery, drunkeness, dementia, etc.  In many pieces of software, there is a slightly curved arrow

that will allow the last action to be undone and one facing the other way to redo that action if you decide you do want it after all.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby