Saturday, May 29, 2021

Tipping today

With serious problems raised by Covid, I began tipping more.  What is fair, what is helpful is always a mystery.   When a business depends on customers, and I like the business and deal with it, I appreciate what the business does. Especially when the pandemic shrinks the business or really cuts the number of transactions per day, I want to give more money to support.  What a fair price actually is has gotten people thinking for centuries.  


If you establish a price based on your costs, your own income needs and what the competition charges, the final figure may be a good one from your point of view.  But, when I buy what you sell, the value to me, the appreciation for my purchase is a matter of my consideration and is separate from your calculations and your experience.  The loaf of bread or the bag of apples is never a matter of life or death for me.  I have some bread and I have some apples.  I can live without any bread or apples but I like what you make and the apples you sell.  I often ask myself how much trouble, and time you are saving me.  I don't make bread like Dave Arey does and I don't have any apple trees.  Your bread is delicious and your apples satisfy my hunger and both provide nutrients and variety.  I have bought from you before and I have found your products satisfying.  


If you want me to take some off your hands, if you have an oversupply and the bread will spoil or taking some of your loaves opens space for more baking, an activity you enjoy, taking some off your hands may be a favor.  When I know how much money I have with me, I may want to give you more than your price.  If you express unhappiness with a tip, or the size of my tip, I will adjust it but I generally know how I feel and what amount will express my feeling of gratitude, appreciation and hope that you will continue.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby