Sunday, February 28, 2021

The beat in the background

She is tough, she is competent, she is professional.  Sandra Bullock plays a woman FBI agent in the 2000 film "Miss Congeniality".   Lynn recalled the  part where the agent realizes that another agent is getting attracted to her and in a somewhat blatant and un-feminine way, taunts him.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LwrEnPYHsyQ


I enjoy the contrast between full-body feminism that is part and parcel of being a beauty queen and shooting, judo and stalking bad guys.  I very much like the human female form, the female voice and female personalities.  I realize they differ and are not all carbon copies of each other, which, to me, is a large part of general attractiveness of the gender.  


We found the movie on Prime TV and watched it.  The depiction of a pro policewoman trying to mix in with beauty pageant participants, for the purpose of having a trained police officer on hand, is the fun of the somewhat silly movie.  I am old and critical so anything about proper behavior or beauty contests may get me wondering about how much the idea holds up and under what circumstances the view might not apply. 


Lynn commented that the agent played by Benjamin Bratt was always picking on Sandra Bullock's character, disrespecting her and downplaying her contributions, ideas and skills until she undergoes a makeover, wears heels, and a tight knit dress.  Lynn said the message is that you have to be pretty to be liked. I don't know as much about being pretty or liked as she does, but I wonder if I can't amend the message to simply "if you want to be liked, like".  I am confident it isn't that easy or simple, but I am also confident that being attracted and being attractive is a more subtle and persistent a part of us than we realize.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby