Monday, February 15, 2021

Quotations

I got to thinking about quotations that matter to me.  I know there are probably many of them but I haven't tried to collect them.  I remember that the first hardback book, probably the first book of any kind I bought, was Best Loved Poems.  I have lost that book now or given it away and I can't find the exact reference or title.  There are many collections of best loved poems.


I have been writing my blog, nearly daily, for 12 years but that doesn't go back very far into my life.  I tried searching the blog pages (4121 posts) using the search window and just a quote mark (") but that didn't work.


I know I have remembered the quote from a psalm "It is He that hath made us and not we ourselves."  That seems to let me off the hook when I lose my temper or act childishly.  I am confident that there are many other quotes in my head but I am having trouble finding them.  


I do have a reading list from 1983 online.  I thought maybe reading the titles of books that have mattered might bring to mind some good quotes.  Not much luck.  I did have a book of well-known quotations but I have lost that, too.  I do remember parts of Ogden Nash's odd poem "The Strange Case of Mr. Donnybrook's Boredom":

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2012/02/strange-case-of-mr-donnybrooks-boredom.html


I am mildly interested in the psychology of "end times", "the end of the world" and the Apocalypse. So, in my high school days, someone announced the imminent end of the world, I thought of the Psalm 46.  I requested to be the Bible verse reader for that morning and read that Psalm but I had to use Google just now to find the Psalm that mentions "though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea."  


I often feel that Ecclesiastes is my favorite book of the Bible, mostly because it seems to tell important truths about life, such as in a mere 500 years, we will be forgotten by any humans still living at the time.  The famous opening lines of that book of the Bible: "Vanity! Vanity! All is vanity!"  I just realized while Bibling around that I often think of "The woman that thou hast given me, she did offer and I did eat", said in response to God's question Did you eat to the tree of knowledge that I expressly forbade?.  The answer is a nicely recorded attempt by man to blame her and God.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby