Thursday, February 11, 2021

Memory

Older friends and relatives worry about their memory.  Is the brain going to continue to work in the way we are used to?  We already have senior moments.  What is your name, again?  I know I know your name and I am so embarrassed that it won't come to me.  


I wrote about memory two years ago

https://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2018/08/memory-mechanisms.html

I don't say that my memory is much better today but I don't think it has deteriorated.  


It can be helpful to think about research that local current memory can be affected by walking into a different room:

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-d&q=why+walking+through+doorways+causes+forgetting


I advised my sister the other day to keep a pad and pen handy.  Actually, it may be a good idea to keep them in your pocket or the pair of them in every room.  The point, at least for me, is not to write down much.  I usually only need a single word, or maybe a couple, to think about the SUBJECT.  You may have heard of research that says that walking through a doorway can affect one's memory and attention to one's thoughts and current focus of interest.  So, stop at every doorway and jot down a) why you are in motion and b) what subject or topic is on your mind currently in case it slips away.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby