Thursday, June 11, 2020

Writing a blog post

To write a blog post, I open Google Drive and click on "New".  I slide down to Google Docs and let go.  That opens a new word processing document.  Google Docs automatically and continuously saves what I type.  I can go back and delete, add and alter but I don't have to remember to save.  I get 15 gigabytes of storage free and I haven't used half of that in 12 years of daily blogging.  By putting my posts in Google Docs on Google Drive, I have "my own" record of them.


There are two main parts to my blog posts: the title and the body.  I have sometimes steered away from a longer title because I knew I would be typing it repeatedly.  I make many errors while typing.  In fact, after creating a post, I check it with Google Docs Tools' (a menu in Docs) Spelling and Grammar and with an aloud reading of the post to my wife.  I often use a short title and I have wished that I could keep the title and the body of the post on separate clipboards.  A few days back, I was reading the newsletter How to Geek and it explained how to have separate clipboard entries simultaneously.  


The feature is in Windows 10 and is called "Clipboard History".  That feature must be turned on.  When it is, I can copy the title using Control-c.  Then, I select the entire body of the post, either sliding the mouse over the whole text or using Control-a.  Then, a 2nd use of Control-c copies the text of the post.  The Clipboard History can hold up to 24 separate items.  When I make an email of the post, I hit the Windows key and v key for a special paste.  The title and the body are the top two items in my Clipboard History and I click on the title to paste it into the subject, hit the Tab key to switch to the body of the message and hit Window-v to get my clipboard choices.  This time, I click on the body and bang!  Done!


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby