Friday, June 12, 2020

Wi-Fi

During the time I would usually spend writing a blog post, today I spent trying to extend the usable range of our Wi-Fi signal. We have pretty good reception all over the house but Lynn recently got a new kiln.  She makes enough pottery and the old one was somewhat limited.  Her new one has Wi-Fi.  The idea is that the company that makes it can diagnose any problems that arise by studying the output from the kiln over the internet.  


The trouble is that the garage, a reasonably safe and secure place for the kiln, is too far from our modem and router to get a good signal.  My friend uses range extenders and I think I can, too.  I bought an inexpensive one and it was delivered today..It is very light and easy to move around but I have not succeeded in using the device to extend the range of the signal we get. I used to have a Galaxy tablet, a competitor to Apple's iPad but I gave it to my greatgranddaughter.  


Reading and applying what I read ran me into an app that might help.  I thought that I could use my Chromebook for Android apps and maybe I can but I couldn't find a way to do that. That meant I needed to go against my principles and download the relevant app to my iPad mini.  So far, it hasn't helped.  I will keep trying while at the same time, work to get my computer savvy wife working on the extension of our range.  It is her kiln after all.


It is not easy working with connections and signals since they are not visible or hearable so I need a sensitive and reliable device to try and detect where I have an ok signal and where I don't.  


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby