Sunday, June 28, 2020

The end, etc.

In 1972, The Limits to Growth was published.  It explained that by 2025, tough conditions would hold: air pollution, over-population, scarce food, water shortage - not good times.  My friend is a historian, especially of science.  We discussed the problems and created a course on the future.  We didn't know what the future holds but we did have quite a few predictions from several types of writers, ancient and more recent.  


When I joined the American Educational Research Association, I became a member of their sub-group on the future, which is, of course, a very broad subject.  I am officially an old person, well into the end period of life.  Naturally, I expect to die sometime in the next 20 or so years.  That expectation can slant my thinking about the future.  


When I was a kid, we had television but it was only broadcast for a couple of hours a day.  There were movie theaters and of course, plays but no movies on tv.  No internet, just emerging air travel, no cell phones.  So, things were different then.  It is clear that I am a wonderful person so why shouldn't people my age and background worry?  We are wonderful and grew up in conditions different from today so how can others become wonderful in different conditions?


Probably things are just going to go downhill and everything good will fall apart, fail and cease, don't you think?


So, we have

  1. I'm going to die and so are you, sometime.  That can be a downer.

  2. There are fearful ideas and groups right here on our planet and that doesn't make me feel good.

  3. What with taxes and expenses and an ongoing need to eat, I may run out of money.  Yuck!

  4. My body is aging and weakening.  Not good.

If you put on your thinking cap, you may be able to add to this list.  It has been fashionable to be alert to downers and worries since olden times, so join in and hurry up about it!


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby