Monday, January 27, 2020

Does he know what he is talking about ? Do I ?

Politicians, thinkers, scientists, essayists - people who make statements often seem to make statements that don't stand up to questioning.  I admit that I don't go out of my way to ask or to answer questions that occur. But I have heard of Russian attempts to influence. I have heard that many Chinese young people want to have a career as influencers, tv speakers and writers that make original ads or statements on YouTube or other platforms of expression.  

I suppose without much information that someone can imagine so advocating jello, or building with cement, or the joy of fly fishing, that manufacturers or merchandisers might be willing to pay me a small allowance for my pushing, advocating, cleverly commenting on their product.  Not long ago, a friend said that she was surprised at the idea of checking with Google. I find that any question or subject might profitably be entered into a Google search or a Bing (Microsoft) search or a Safari (Apple) search or a Duckduckgo (independent). Anything I wonder about, anything I imagine or question or wonder can be checked with any of the modern search engines.  Why I wonder, what I question, what I hope is also wondered, questioned, hoped by many others.  

So, if you have a connection to the internet, try whatever is on your mind.  Search the phrase or subject you are thinking about. I say forget Facebook for this purpose and Instagram and Pinterest. Do a search on the topic.  Any topic is quite likely to get search results that are not of interest but writing about being an influencer makes me think that I don't know much about being an influencer.  I can't name anyone anywhere who is a successful or famous or skillful influencer. So, I did a search of "influencer career" in Google.  

I feel that my life is in balance right now and I don't need any additional projects beyond what I have.  But when I hear friends, commentators, when I read authors making assertions, I wonder how up-to-date their information is.  I have quite a bit of experience thinking about the future and I know that fear, hunger for power, ego, partial reading and wild imagination causes people to believe, state, plan and advocate for ideas, statements, theories that don't hold up, are based on partial truths or none at all.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby