Friday, July 26, 2019

What if I forget who I hate?

One of the people I follow on Twitter suggested the possibility of forgetting who he hates. I suspect that large groups of people, maybe groups mostly male, enjoy hating and get energy and inspiration from it.  It would be good if the persons hated had clear and outstanding characteristics that inspire hate. If they were notably hate-able, forgetting who they were or losing one's list of people to hate would be less bothersome.  Carrying a pen and a bit of paper, one could note a name upon recognizing a good candidate for the list.  


I realize that the resulting list might not be identical to the older set of those to hate.  But a few additions and a few omissions probably wouldn't matter much. A few on the list to be hated might be whole types rather than individuals, like blonde, left-handed Eskimos born in Ecuador.  For them a single label on the newly constructed list would be sufficient. I admit that a quick label for a whole group does leave the problem of verifying whether a given person is genuinely a member of the hated group, or merely an associate or neighbor of the hateds but without genuine group membership.


I might be embarrassed if I started liking someone, only to realize later that he was someone I had intended to hate!  I suppose I could try to cover my shame with a pretense that I had been hating in good form right along. I don't have very advanced skills in disdainful pseudo-tolerance that can be accepted as higher hating when examined in retrospect.  But if I do some snickering and sly smiling, I might be able to avoid being embarrassed. I could claim that I recognized his hate-ableness right along and had been quietly carrying authentic hatred in my heart.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby