Thursday, July 25, 2019

My first microwave and my new car

Last Wednesday, my oldest greatgrandson passed his driver's license test.  So, I gave him my car, just as my father did for me years ago. I got a different car.  I like Honda hatchbacks and their current model that is along that line is the Fit. My favorite salesman sold me a used model that is fancier than the one I gave away.


The other day, I sat down with the manual for the car and looked through it.  It has many features and capabilities built in. I am reminded of the first microwave I bought, around 30 years ago.  I didn't know much about the machines and I took a night class on microwaving. The machine I bought had several features I rarely or never used. Press this button for 1 minute heating.  Press this button for an elaborate multi-phase series of bursts and heats. I tended to press the time I wanted and let it go with that.


This new car has features I will probably never use.  I don't have a smartphone and may not learn to receive calls through car audio system.  I can get AM, FM, Spotify and may be able to tune into foreign broadcasts for all I know.  The car has a back-up camera to show me what is behind my vehicle as I back up. That camera switches to a view along the right side of the car when I turn on my right turn signal.  I seem to have to actually look at the left side mirrors when I turn left, manually, the old-fashioned way.  


Lynn's car senses a car in front that is going slower than her cruise control setting and slows her vehicle to cruise behind at a safe distance.  She can pass and have her car resume the designated speed. Mine doesn't seem to do that. Microwave, car, tv, computer - there can be many things in the house that are quite smart and have many abilities.  Whether I know about these features and use them is a different matter.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby