Friday, December 7, 2018

Nearly nothing by mouth

We have both been gaining weight so we fasted today.  That only means, for us, skipping breakfast and lunch.  We eat a normal dinner. We often lose between half and a pound doing that.  I seem to be getting a little more sensitive to not eating. I had morning coffee black, a cup mid-morning instead of green tea (easier on my empty stomach) and a cup at lunch.  About 2, I was getting a few hunger pains so I ate a triscuit and about 5 peanuts. My stomach thought that was a feast.


Many religions include fasting as part of an observance.  I usually eat between 7 and 8 after getting up at 6. My body notices when it gets to be 9 and I have eaten nothing.  About 10, I felt some elation. I wonder if feeling a little high (and holy) is part of the reason fasting seems to mix well with religion.  


On Monday of this week, I had that endoscopic exam and didn't eat or drink until after 2.  I didn't have any headache from no caffeine but I enjoyed a piece of pizza, a coffee, a bottle of tea and a Milky Way after the exam.


Most of the reminders I get to eat something come when I am not thinking of anything.  If I get up to get something, my system may send a food request but as soon as my mind gets engaged in something again, I lose awareness of hunger.  I have gone from dinner one day to dinner the next day without food but not any longer than that.


I have read that hunger gets less intense after a while and I believe it.  Somewhat like knocking one's head against a wall to enjoy stopping that, not eating makes freedom to eat heavenly.  I have read that the body appreciates not having the job of digestion once in a while.


A few months back, we were doing this fasting.  That day, I didn't realize I had let myself wander into the kitchen and put a cookie in my mouth until my tongue registered the taste.  That was just about the time that I met John Bargh's book "Before You Know It" but the title expressed exactly what me and my body had managed.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby