Saturday, December 15, 2018

Do I want anything?

I notice that many explorations and ideas seem to be focused on one thing and having that thing right now.  As I age, I realize that parts of me can stop functioning without notice.  Functions may be incomplete. I may breathe less well, my heart may pump less effectively, my memory sometimes works more slowly.  I am more conscious that multiple goals and desires may be of interest. I may desire my breathing to be better, my heart more effective and my memory faster and more complete.


If I ask myself What do I want?, the answer is not a single goal or wish.  Besides the answer changes. When I am cold, I want warmth. When I am too hot, I want cooling.  So what I want now may not be at all what I want an hour from now. I realize that others can dangle products and possibilities in front of me and entice me to want them.  What about a great trip to Yellowstone? What about losing ten pounds? How about some delicious cookies? My memory and imagination by themselves can do the same thing without help from others.  


I remember a trip to Nice, France with strong fondness.  But booking a flight, packing a bag, getting a room, thinking of such steps awakens my doubts.  Will all that be as magic as it was before?


I think I am getting to see many desires as temporary, wants that will rather quickly pass into other, different wants.  


I don't admire a picture of inactivity, sloth, boredom nor pictures of a long string of doubts and fears and hesitations.  I also can't get behind a picture of wasting the energies and possibilities I have now. I am not going to get any younger.  I may be as strong and as vital now as I am ever going to be. It can't be a good thing to waste my current abilities. I realize that my life and current abilities are precious and have expiration dates.  


When I was younger, I sought a pattern for my life, a plan, a direction. I wanted to know what to be, what to become, who to be with.  Now, I know what I am, I have a somewhat foreshortened future, and I know who I want to be with. Have I got everything figured out? Maybe.  


I may be clearer about keeping myself good company and enjoying my time wherever I am and whatever I am doing.  It all feels good most of the time and when it doesn't, I have a valuable opportunity to watch myself deal with whatever comes up, trying to convert it into nourishment and enjoyment.  


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby