Friday, November 23, 2018

Peaceful, calm, pale Friday

There are many other roles in life beyond that of teen warrior.  I am not putting energetic young people down. We need them and their energy and their daring.  However, I read that it is predicted that citizens over age 65 will increase in percentage of the population.  So, let's sometimes look to other images and symbols beyond rah-rah and yahoo and Go,go,go!


Robert A. Johnson wrote in "Living Your Unlived Life":

I like to swim at the local YMCA; I am a regular there and many people know me. Not long ago one of the lifeguards saw me coming; and her manager had told her that I write books, so she approached me to ask for an inspirational quote to copy on the blackboard for the people who were exercising. I thought for a moment, and a proverb from the Upanishads came to mind: "By standing still we overtake those who are running." The teenager heard me out, thought for a moment, and then replied, "No way!" She walked to the blackboard and instead wrote: "Go, go, go!" We live in a "go, go, go" society. It is increasingly difficult to find a moment of repose.


Let's not be silly or shortsighted or stupid.  There is strong evidence that even trainers of powerful racehorses often give them too little rest.  This weekend, we are trying to remember to be thankful for our happiness and whatever good fortune we have, and had, and may have.  Whether you were outside the bargain door at 3:30 AM this morning or not, let's take a moment for repose and calm. We are Americans!  We can do it!!!!

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby