Friday, November 2, 2018

Forgetting

We didn't find anything we liked so Lynn suggested we try watching "Foyle's War" again.  Google says there are 28 episodes in all. I am confident we didn't watch one every single night.  We usually alternate with a variety of shows. I think we watched all of the "Bones" episodes since we watched Foyle.  There are 246 episodes of "Bones".


Lynn guessed that it has been long enough since we watched Foyle that we wouldn't remember the stories.  Boy, was she right! There are moments in one of the stories that I feel that I have seen the scene before, but they are few, and they haven't lead to my recalling the whole storyline or remembering who did the crime.  Very similar results are happening re-watching the "Doc Martin" series and the "Bones series and "Third Rock from the Sun". Maybe if I had made notes, concentrated and studied in ways as I have for school, I might remember more of the stories.


This leads a person like me, someone who has spent many hours in schools of one sort or another, in one role or another, wondering about school, studying and memory. In my course where the adult students and I tried to recall all the books we had ever read, there wasn't much talk about reading over again books that we enjoyed or were inspired by.  


I was often asked in that course what books had strongly affected me. I usually answered "Mere Christianity" by C.S.Lewis and "The House of Intellect" and "Teacher in America" by Jacques Barzun.  Since reading those books, I have re-read Mere Christianity and House of Intellect but that re-reading was years ago. They are very different books by very different men but I wonder what is in my mind from reading those books.  


I have seen "The Russians Are Coming!  The Russians Are Coming!" And "In the Spirit" many times, probably more than 8 for each of the movies.  I know by heart many of lines and the twists and turns of the story.


When I write a blog, I make five prompts before choosing a topic.  Once I settle on a topic, I write about it. Sometimes, I think of what seems a very promising topic but fail to write it down soon enough.  It can disappear into the atmosphere. It takes me about 45 minutes to write a blog. Then, I read it aloud to Lynn, listening for corrections that are needed.  Once it is in ok shape, I copy it into email for sending in the morning. By bedtime, I often am unable to recall the topic or what I wrote. I have written 3320 posts so I am not surprised that I can't remember them all, but from afternoon to bedtime??

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby