Thursday, November 1, 2018

Buttons

I have read that Amazon dominates online business.  My wife hadn't heard of Amazon's Dash buttons so I read a little about them.  I guess they started with laundry products. After setup, a little button fixed to the front of our washer can re-order our favorite laundry soap when it gets pressed.  It is set to tell the house wi-fi that we want the order size previously agreed to and pressing the button sends a re-order to the company. A couple of days later, our doorbell would ring as the shipment is delivered.  



I just read that 4 people press their Amazon re-order buttons every minute.  So far, I haven't heard of similar button arrangements from any other company.  


I have heard of LifeAlert and similar pendants I can wear to call 911 in case I fall.  But there may be a market for other services, maybe a florist will deliver flowers or the bakery some loaves of bread or doughnuts.  


I did see that someone offers a random set of Amazon Dash buttons on eBay for $26.  The ad says they are used. I am not clear about whether they work or are just for collectors.


The difference between driving to the store, finding the product, checking out, loading it into the car, driving home and having the product delivered to our door seems strong.  It is true that I can order things online but a pre-set button seems faster and less likely to involve errors and mistakes. I have seen on the Amazon website that I can subscribe to a given product that will be delivered every so often.  Coffee or sugar or something that gets used can be subscribed, much like a magazine. But we are not big consumers and I wouldn't want an oversupply to back up in our closets.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby