Thursday, August 30, 2018

Unusual times

Time 1

This Sunday the small local Quaker meeting planned an after-meeting picnic in a local park.  The fee for reserving a pavilion is pretty steep but, I guess by custom, if we start using some tables that are not in use in the pavilion, we can continue on.  My Quaker wife had the idea of the two of us staking out some tables about 10 AM and holding them until the rest of the meeting attenders show up about 11:45.


So, she and I sat in the quiet park pavilion and talked.  An older woman and man sitting quietly talking in the Sunday morning park!  Can you imagine? We have many experiences over the years in that park and it is one of the most scenic in the city.  That is the very park in which a fake representative of the British Crown wearing a fake but impressive uniform arrived at the little island in the Plover river and pronounced the news that the Crown was reclaiming the land despite events in the Revolutionary War.  The London native and resident was celebrating his visit among the Americans he had ushered through Britain years earlier.


Still, we had never, of a Sunday morning, in the fifty years living here, been in the park on a quiet Sunday morning, reading, talking, joking and enjoying the trees.  Now, we have.


Time 2

Both of their parents are school employees and the teachers and teacher aides are called to a day of pre-school meetings and announcements.  So, at 7:20 this morning, we were joined at home by two of our greatgrandkids while their parents went off to work. We talked about what to do with the day and the city's sculpture park was first on the list.  It is about a 15 minute drive from here. Seeing the children, the trees and puddles and wet paths, the sculptures, the greatgrandmother, many thoughts, comparisons and questions flew thru my mind.


Later, after pizza and chicken out, we played Cadoo.  I felt I had threatened my wife's cardio health when I drew the following dragon:

It was successful and got the shout from my greatgrandson: "Dragon!"  But my wife felt my drawing was hilariously pathetic and nearly laughed herself in cardiac danger.


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby