Tuesday, April 10, 2018

What was that name, again?

In this age of information from our phones and computers, we are rather dependent on getting the name right. A friend who worked in a bookstore once told me that a human can listen to a book browsing customer say,"Do you have Seven Years by Rockman?" and ask "Do you mean Eight Months by Stonefield?"  Humans can guess associations sometimes, even when mistakes are made.  But when you trying looking up Rockman on a computer, it doesn't suggest Stonefield.  Yet. I guess it is coming but not now.


Look up the first president of the US, George Washington but accidentally hit keyboard keys so that you search for Teorge Washington.  Well, I am surprised. I thought Google search would not realize what I probably meant but it did. It gave me results for George Washington and an easy change that can be clicked on if I really want Teorge.  


Quite a few people seem convinced that artificial intelligence and machine learning are rapidly approaching a level of ability, speed and low cost that will take jobs from human workers in great numbers.  I notice my iPad has an optional alternate keyboard, the Gboard, which is the best rapid guesser of what I am trying to type I have seen.


It is still the case though, that getting the right name correctly spelled is important.  The Chinese-American author Chade-Meng Tan and the Indian-American physician Amit Sood both have very well written books that I recommend to friends.  But both men have names that are very unusual in the lands where Smith and Jones are more typical. Last names from the British countries are still common

https://goo.gl/iQYXhd but over time Asian and Hispanic names as well as those from other places are getting more common.


It is already quite rare to search for any name or combination of letters in the typical English alphabet and find that nothing at all is named that.  



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby