Sunday, March 25, 2018

Bouncing along

I thought it would be easy. It has been easy often. I have done it more than 3,000 times.  I wanted to pay attention to Lynn's frugality and skills. I knew there was a section of the Old Testament's book of Proverbs about wifely virtues. I usually read my posts to her before getting them ready to send out but this time, I wanted to surprise her and maybe avoid strong statements of modesty and such.  


I located some web sites of Biblical passages.  There are quite a few and of course there is more than one version of the Bible in English.  I like to stick to one version and the one I know best is the King James version. I was surprised when I pasted the section on wifely virtues that every line turned into a link.  It was awkward and distracting to read and I thought I had removed all the links. I thought that having many links increases the chance that my messages will be stopped by filters but that may not matter very much.  


So, I was surprised at something like 140 bounces.  I tried a different version of the passage and again got nearly 100% bounces.  The blog is titled "Fear, Fun and Filoz", my take on basics. We are alert to danger, we seek fun and then, maybe, we consider and ponder and question.  I used to put a signature on each email including the blog name but I decided that is too repetitious so I knew that there was a chance that some recipients would not know the blog's web address or name.


One of the odd parts of emailing posts to friends is that so much of it is completely opaque.  If something goes wrong, I don't know what it is. I guess this and guess that. When my morning post has many bounces, I can get riled up.  I feel like rolling up my sleeves and really getting into finding the cause and figuring out what I can do. I imagine that many emailers would do a similar thing but maybe it works better to determinedly to wait until later in the day or even a different day.   


I can use tools to see which of my emails are opened and which never are but I think that is very crude information.  I try to put some writing out there and let those who are interested read it or not. Besides, knowing an email was opened doesn't say how much it was enjoyed or benefited.


I found this interesting: (from A Marketer's Guide to Email Deliverability)

According to Litmus' research of 1.06 billion email opens, the top five email clients are:

  1. Apple iPhone's Mail app (28% of users)

  2. Gmail (16% of users)

  3. Apple iPad's Mail app (11% of users)

  4. Google Android's Mail app (9% of users)

  5. Outlook (9% of users)



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby