Tuesday, February 6, 2018

The Art of Aging

I guess we are all aging but we don't usually pay a great deal of attention to the subject.  When it is our birthday, maybe especially on birthdays that include a zero, we are happy and proud to be old enough to join, leave, brag, or whatever.

The next book in the group I am going through is "The Art of Aging" by Sherwin Nuland.  Nuland was a professor of surgery at Yale and he is the author of this book, and "How We Die", "How We Live" and many other books.  I am using two Kindle readers to track through my collection of 40 recent purchases.  Even though I planned to get through them all before buying anything more, I haven't.  

I saw in a Goodreads email that a book called "Educated" was very popular.  That didn't sound like a novel so I looked it up.  Tara Westover was born in Idaho to a survivalist family which didn't believe in public schooling.  Westover eventually got schooled and went on to obtain a PhD in history from Cambridge University in England, where she now lives.  I bought "Educated" but it will not be released by Amazon until later in this month.  I looked up Westover in Twitter and saw that she has praised a novel called "Why Be Happy When You Can Be Normal?".  I bought that book, too.  I have read a little of it and found that is a story that somewhat parallels Westover's life.  

When I got back to the set of 40, I returned to "The Art of Aging."  Following my own advice, I looked up Dr. Nuland.  I thought I had read that he died and I was checking.  He was born in 1930 and died in 2014.  While looking that up, I found that Nuland made a couple of TED (https://www.ted.com/) talks.  One of them is about how electric shock therapy saved his life.  I have read the electric shock therapy has recently been quite improved so I was interested.  Nuland was an expert in the history of medicine, ancient and recent both.  TED talks usually include a transcript of what is said and a 22 minute talk like his can be read quickly instead of being watched and listened to.  

Nuland was in his 30's when he fell into a deep and debilitating depression while going through a painful and nasty divorce.  He explains in his talk where electric shock therapy came from and why.  He didn't say anything much about improvements but it certainly helped him.



Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby