Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Talking to senior citizens

I am giving a talk about five books. The slides and the notes related to them are on this web page:


The five books are
  1. Incognito by Eagleman - our unconscious minds
  2. Altered Traits by Goleman and Davidson - results of meditation
  3. The Jew in the Lotus by Kamenetz - Jews try to advise Tibetans
    on survival
  4. Designed to Move by Vernikos - keep moving for health
  5. Conscious Breathing by Hendricks - breath as mind and emotion tool

Why these books?  They all seemed surprisingly important and helpful.  I don't want to talk about them if they aren't.  

I have a set of notes from each book and a set of slides I intend to use as a guide through my talk.  Each time I go through those materials, I see a little change here and a slight modification there.  That is unsettling.  I want to be all prepared.  I don't want to get any new ideas or different perspectives on any of the material.  This is not the time to be open-minded. 

I won't be scripted and I can go off in many directions.  The group I will be talking to usually asks lots of questions and they may show heavy interest in some of the material and very little in other parts.  Part of a good presentation for this group is to be willing to spend time on valuable questions or comments.  The more I know, the more likely I can be a good resource.  Some of my feelings are anticipatory jitters and hopes that I don't make a blithering fool of myself.  I have given talks to members of this organization several times before and it has always gone well.

Of course, I will be glad when it is over and I can stop telling myself to be well prepared, to be all set, to know what I am going to do and so on.  

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby