Sunday, July 30, 2017

Hungry?

A few months ago, Amazon suggested the book "Bright Line Eating".  I have read quite a bit on diet and foods so I recognized a good writer with an open attitude in Susan Peirce Thompson.  I didn't read very far before learning that she has a PhD in neuropsychology, a web site and runs camps and other things to help those who need to lose weight.  She writes well and knowingly.  She explains her own story of too much snacking, too much of the wrong stuff.  She considers herself a food addict and she has a short quiz on her site to evaluate the propensity of food addiction in others.  


I didn't have a lot of weight to lose but in two months of following her four rules, I have lost about 8 lbs.  Her rules are

  • No added sugar

  • No flour of any kind

  • Three meals a day on time every day

  • Weigh the food or use a small full plate once with each meal


In 2016, we learned of the 5:2 diet, also called the fasting diet. We tried it for several months, not so much to lose weight as to experience it.  We had watched Dr. Mark Mattson on YouTube and learned of the brain and body benefits of going light on food for two non-consecutive days a week.

http://fearfunandfiloz.blogspot.com/2016/02/highlights-of-fasting.html


"Going light" usually means 500 calories on the fasting days for women and 600 for men.  Lynn likes to skip breakfast and lunch and eat all her calories at dinner on fasting days.  I like to eat lightly at the usual times.  I don't get very hungry that way.  It is like my body doesn't count calories but wants food at the right time.


I read all of Susan Thompson's book and found the details way too much.  Food diary, expected foods and other rules.  I wanted to stick to the main four rules itemized above until I got squarely down to an arbitrary weight I thought I could make.  As no added sugar and no flour have dragged on, I get impatient and have a little of this and some of that. Many days, I am less than 1 lb. from my target.  With a little more sense than I muster, I would forget about the experiment but I am too stubborn.  


Soon, I plan to read "The I-Diet" by the professor of nutrition, Susan Roberts and see what that is like. Thus do we old guys pass the time.

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby