Friday, April 8, 2016

Playing with my food

I am a clock-type person.  Go to bed at 10 and get up at 6.  Not five after ten nor 5:45 but 10 and 6.  Eat breakfast so that I am finished by 8:15.  Have dinner at 5:30 and so on.  I like regular rhythm and a steady, reliable beat to my life.  However, things don't always work out so neatly.  Here we often have to be actually on the airplane at 5:45 AM and it is 20 minutes away, given no ice on the roads and not counting time to get parked and all.  When we went to New York City, we had to be on the bus on the parking lot at 4:30 AM.

But one of the things our bellies and our hunger and our energy level can count on is eating.  Lynn often says that I eat by the clock, not by hunger, and she is right.  Now we are into our 7th month of fasting, semi-fasting or sneaking food on two non-consecutive days of the week.  Mark Mattson, Johns Hopkins University, did a YouTube video on the benefits of 5:2 eating, with 2 days of restricted calories and 5 days of pigging out, no, I mean, normal eating.  Depending on when and how you measure, I have lost five or so pounds and Lynn has lost more.


As usual, she is a good girl and I am a bad boy.  I can point to various sources that say I wasn't overweight and that I am ok now.  So, I have ways of semi-justifying eating this and that during the day while she virtuously starves herself.  She needs to starve herself so that I will continue to pursue her and grab her and kiss her on account of her figure.  My voice and intellect are sufficient to keep her interested in me so I don't have to starve.  Lucky, huh?


This business of not cooking or setting the table, of acting more like a gorilla in the jungle where I just eat a handful of cashews and a banana and a cheese stick and a pear and a glass of milk plays havoc with my sense of regular eating, with my awareness of what I have eaten.  It seems to increase my sensitivity to food so that a single lettuce leaf clearly modifies my hunger and a stalk of celery is high eating. But it gives me a greater sense of abandon and carelessness so that a cookie is more attractive and a square of chocolate gets selected instead of a radish.  If you see me all tubbed up, it's not my fault.  Research did it.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby