Monday, November 9, 2015

What is going on?

I can get boring and repetitious on the subject of meditation.  However, more and more segments and groups of American (and many other) societies are realizing the value of a habit of meditating for ten minutes daily. So, it is increasingly recognized as an important activity.


I stay on the lookout for books, TED talks and YouTube videos that explain or inspire meditation in a direct, uncomplicated, secular way that could be used by anyone.  Recently, I have touted the book by Dan Harris, an ABC newsman, called "10% Happier: How I Tamed the Voice in My Head, Reduced Stress Without Losing My Edge, and Found Self-Help that Actually Works".  With a short, easy-to-use title like that, you can see why it is one of my best recommendations!


Now, I have a new basic recommendation.  It is Elizabeth Reninger's "Meditation Now", selling for 99¢ in eformat on Amazon.  As I look through the book, I see illustrations of the traditional cross-legged "lotus" position on a floor or mat.  She does write that keeping a straight spine is important and I think it is very helpful.  I like to sit on the front edge of a hard chair.  In that position, it can be surprisingly pleasant to stretch straight up and try to get the top of the head as high as possible but without straining.  Reninger covers all the typical questions and puzzles very nicely.


The shortest recommendation for time spent meditating may be that of the Google Chinese-American software engineer Chade-Meng Tan in his book "Search Inside Yourself", where he says that a 2 yr. old daughter and a software engineer dad can both stand 2 minutes of meditation.  I admit that many of the early books by Eckhart Tolle didn't mention meditation at all.  He just talked about getting out of the habit of thinking everything to death.  Yes, and the physician Charles Stroebel thought that using just 6 seconds to deeply relax would be good.  Whether you use 5 minutes or 8 or 10, what do you do during that surprisingly long time while the timer ticks away?


You basically stay aware.  You experience that period, especially in yourself.  Our minds are naturally built to seek topics, worries, memories, hopes, fears and such.  The mind stays alert for things to think about, stories to get involved with.  The reason you stay still during meditation, the reason you keep your eyes on one spot, the reason you stay aware of your breathing in and out is so you will notice when your puppy mind starts to chew on a shoe of worry or fantasy or love or whatever.  It is the noticing of getting engaged that you are sitting for.  When you put the chew toy aside for a moment, you are increasing your sensitivity to what your mind does and that is the whole point: better insight into yourself.  I am not advocating for the many "guided meditations", where a voice leads me to relax and put myself mentally on a sunny, warm beach.  I am advocating for the use of my awareness to experience being alive and alert on my own, right now.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby