Monday, November 23, 2015

Then and then and now

"Sapiens" by Y.N. Harari says that we have evolved somewhat slowly in the biological sense while making big changes in our lives.  So, we are following an industrial schedule using clocks while still being attuned physically to sunrise and sunset.  It was only a couple of hundred years ago, that most people had no time pieces and lived on what might be called natural time, set by the daylight and the calendar.


"Paleofantasy" by Zuk says evolution is not as slow and remote as we think.  Not only are we steadily evolving but so are all the other plants and animals.  That is one reason that a supposed retreat to Neanderthal days of more raw food, less sugar and no dairy or alcohol is not a simple and direct way to purify ourselves and attain some sort of healthy living.


What we say and do, by the hour, by the day, by the month, by the year, by the decade does, of course, change.  I used to put my shoes on the opposite feet from what they were made for and shuffle to some grownup, asking for some help in tying my shoelaces.  I used to ask for somebody to cut up my meat for me.  Right now, I can do those things for myself and even help my greatgrandchildren with them if needed.  Later, I may again ask for help.


But quietly, in the background, we can make changes in our routines and habits and ways of living that don't always get noticed.  I mentioned the Paleofantasy chapter on some humans evidently modifying themselves so that they can continue to digest milk throughout their lives.  Many people wonder about the body being built for exercise, such as walking and hunting and gathering, while more and more humans travel while sitting.  I realize that our practices after we are born are not likely to result in much of a change to the human genome.  I guess we need a mutation for a basic change.


However, keep your eye on the geneticists as well as on our ways of living.  I keep seeing references to new tools for picking and choosing genes and we might have a few artificial, that is, human-made mutations one of these days soon.  Besides, whether biologically based or societally based, we humans are on the alert for possible changes that might be to our betterment or amusement, that might make a profit, that might defeat our enemies, whether terrorists or resistant bacteria.  In addition, you might have noticed that we aren't restricted to being rational.  The fad of pet rocks and the thrill of hula hoops and the age of Facebook all show that we can create activities and products and rules and fashions that can change our way of living very drastically.  So, with a nod to the artificial doe scent and deer urine industry during Wisconsin's deer hunt, I sign off.




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby