Saturday, November 21, 2015

Precise is attractive but mythical

​​It seems odd to me that people seem to have a strong desire to be precise but that precision seems to be an entirely mental thing.  I weigh this chocolate bar and my little scale says that it weighs 1 ounce.  Is it exactly 1 or a little more or a little less?  I am not sure where I get the inner desire to know the bar's EXACT weight.  I bet that at the quantum level, it doesn't have a single EXACT weight but that it fluctuates with the space-time continuum or something.


If I want to be really deeply right, why don't I say the bar isn't heavy or that it weighs less than a pound?  As I fall into fanaticism about the stupid bar's weight, I search out my magnifying glass in order to study the weight scale more carefully.  Is the indicated weight exactly in the middle of the tiny 1 oz. mark?  I guess I have the urge to be precise, to be accurate because I am afraid of being wrong.  If I am very, very, very accurate, I will be very, very, very right, right?  Then, I will be a type of ok, of all right.  So, it is looking more and more as though this desire for precision is a desire for deep rightness.  I seem to want to be unassailable.  So, don't bother trying to assail me because you can't.  I am beyond assailing - I am that accurate, that right precisely on target.


Of course, now smarty-pants comes along and ruins my nice certainty about being oh-so right.  Smarty-pants brings another scale which he says is more accurate than mine.  I of course don't accept that statement on the face of it so he shows me the scale's pedigree, its provenance. Whoa, this scale was made by Herkimer and Whittleson, the famous scale-making firm.  I don't even know who made my scale.  It doesn't have a brand-name on it.  But as a fan of accurate scales, I have heard of Herkimer and Whittleson many times.  I think they gave the money for the Scale Hall of Fame.  [To be continued in the next exciting episode of Precision or Die.]

​​



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby