Saturday, August 15, 2015

You might think

You might think that an old guy would be damaged sitting on a bus every day for two weeks.  And, yes, when I wasn't on the bus, I was sitting on a plane or a train or in a lobby here or there.  Lynn wore her Fitbit and found that most days, despite all the sitting, we got in 10 to 12 thousand steps.   I have never seen the research, which I think started in Japan, supporting the idea that 10,000 steps would be a good amount per day.  I did see some information not too long ago saying that Amish farmers were getting 16-18 thousand a day and their wives in the area of 14 thousand.


Of course, other actions and positions matter,too.  There are plenty of stairs and steps.  There is lifting suitcases that weigh as close to 50 lbs. (and not a bit over!) as we can get them.  There are very squishy pillows that can suffocate a person unfortunate enough to roll over face down on them while sleeping.  Rearranging and stretching hip, back and hamstring muscles once or twice a night helps avoid ossification,too, and death by suffocation provides a good impetus to change positions during the night.


You might think that the energetic young people that live the important parts of their lives between 1 and 4 AM would keep old guys awake or leave them unable to return to sleep.  We actually had very few times when others of any age were noisy.  With the action of the days, we were tired enough that our sleep was sound.


We did see wonderful mountains and I am sure both Lynn and I will be sending more pictures.  


While on the trip, I came across "Marriage, a History: How Love Conquered Marriage" by Stephanie Coontz, a historian.  I knew her name from the book "The Way We Never Were," her history that compared the homemaker-wife in apron and heels inside the single family home's white picket fence with how things actually were in the 50's and earlier.  The marriage book is the greatest, a sure way to increase your respect for the forces that shape human lives and wealth.  I will say more about this book over time.  It has really gripped me and opened my eyes to human nature and the logic of society.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby