Sunday, August 23, 2015

a little weight loss

I was surprised on our recent two-week bus tour that I lost a little weight, about 4 lbs. I am confident that 10 lbs. would be a better amount to lose but still, while eating out all the time, sitting in a bus, I am impressed with myself.


Some of it came from special circumstances. We sometimes had an especially long time to ride and we were not going to stop.  Ok, I don't plan anything elaborate, just want to avoid sharp hunger.  In such a case, I don't worry too much about proper nutrition or a balanced diet, which is a clue that for more than a week or two, the approach would not be good.  I find that mozzarella cheese sticks have high-ish protein, which definitely seems to matter for my appetite control.  The same high protein with relatively low sugar and calories also goes for Life Choice Protein Bars, which I buy at Wal-Mart or order from Amazon.  But the sticks and the bars travel well.  We have eaten unrefrigerated cheese sticks after a week or more of no refrigeration and they are fine.  Heat does make them sweat oil so they can be a little messy.


I had weight loss experience during high school and college when I needed to make weight for the wrestling team.  As usual, the problem is not being too light but if I were to weigh in and be too heavy, I would have to forfeit the match.  That never happened to me.  I did wrestle at higher weights whenever the coach needed somebody to go into a match to see if he could avoid getting pinned, just for scoring purposes.  A few pounds doesn't matter and I would sometimes do pretty well against an opponent in a higher weight class.  However, it is now 60 years later and I definitely don't have the same body or build.


I think practical nutrition and weight loss and body shapes and self-acceptance of our bodies, especially at ages of 60 and older is a very interesting set of subjects.  Since we need food and drink to live, it takes self control and self empathy to modify eating.  There is no dropping the habit of eating, just taming and redirecting it.


I have heard that most people in the US understand and appreciate the role of fiber in foods.  Fruits and vegetables definitely stave off hunger longer that prepared carbs such as white bread and cookies with high sugar content.


I was surprised to find obesity in "How We Die" by professor Sherwin Nuland as one of the major paths to deterioration and death and I thought of that book when I read about the lady of the house being ponderously overweight in one of Guy de Maupassant's early stories from the mid 1800's.  I realize that the female body is designed to save calories to be able to handle the task of eating for two (or more) in pregnancy.


The most useful ideas have been

  • stop eating when I am full

  • concentrate on fruits and vegetables

  • avoid being hungry if possible but check for hunger honestly and clearly

  • if a lovely food (doughnut, cake, tart, ice cream) is available, give it a SMALL try




--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Twitter: @olderkirby

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby