Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Regular observations of my life

On each page of my blog, there is a tool in the lower left corner to find any of the 1812 posts I have written.  That time/outline shows that the first pages were written and posted in 2008 but I didn't start posting regularly until April, 2009.  By now, I am accustomed to asking myself what has been happening in my life and what I have been thinking about lately.  I grasp the fact that cutting the lawn can be described in those three words or it can be sketched and stretched into several hundred words, getting into subjects of lawns, grasses, native species, water use and conservation, ethics, landscaping and all sorts of extensions and imaginative developments.


I would think that waking up to the need each morning to decide what to write, getting into a topic, writing, listening to it read aloud in a search for errors and omissions would implant all that effort in my mind. But surprisingly, I can spend an hour or two researching, composing, checking and then 4 to 8 hours later, I can't even remember the subject that I wrote about.  Like many other people, I am hoping I never lose my good memory, my understanding of my native language, my ability to use a keyboard and to observe my own life and experiences, internal and external.  I don't like to measure things or worry about my health unless I have some call to do so.  I don't know any good reason to suspect my memory is much worse than it was when I was 10 or 20 years old but it may be.

 

In the extreme upper right corner of each blog post in the online form of Blogger,

the Google blogging service that hosts my blog pages, there is a search window that is quite useful.  When you have written 93% of the days since April, 2009, you have written down many comments and mentioned many books and notions.  It may be that I have actually emptied my brain and that I cannot think of any new thought.  I don't mind reruns and revised opinions, just as I don't mind boring friends with re-telling old stories that I have already told, often to the point that the friends can tell the story as well as I can.


I have confidence that I can write a post of 200-400 words on just about any subject but I like to write on things that matter to me, that my heart is in.  When an idea comes to mind that seems like it would make a good blog post, I add it to my blog ideas lists.  I have 4 lists since I start a new one once it gets too long and unwieldy.  The four together hold 635 notes for blog posts.  The first one was a look at formal names, nicknames and family names, such as Grandma that can all refer to the same person.  The most recent one is a reminder that if you let a bonobo ape (smaller version of a chimpanzee) kiss you, you will get a "French" kiss.



--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby