Thursday, February 13, 2014

Writing late

Many people who get this blog in email are used to it arriving with their morning coffee.  My basic reason for writing is to require myself to take a look at what I am doing with my life.  I don’t want to just mention the weather or say things are fine.  I believe most any life is actually filled with drama, excitement and wonder.  I like to uncover that side of it and note it.


I am not seeking to vastly increase the number of readers and there are no businesses associated with the size of my blog audience.  There is no good reason, really, to write daily and there is no good reason to deliver posts at sunrise or earlier.  I like to do so and I will when it is convenient but I do want to skip writing often enough that people close to me get out of the habit of assuming I have died if I am late or absent.


I have written often enough that doing so does not feel like a big deal.  Despite the number of posts, I can actually forget about the blog until I am ready to go to bed.  Yesterday, I spent about four or five hours wrestling with our iPods.  I don’t feel I have mastered iTunes and how to make it and our iPods behave the way we want.  In April, I am scheduled to give a presentation covering all electronic gadgets and how they might fit into the lives of retired persons and seniors. Between what I personally want to understand better and what I am trying to learn and focus on for that presentation, I can get quite wrapped up in working with books, computers, mp3 players like the iPod, as well as my wife’s ideas, insights, complaints and questions.


It is true that I could have spent more time at the learning and electronic tasks but I took time to get a short run, weights and a walk through the neighborhood in.  I make dinner every other time we eat at home so that might have been something else.  It wasn’t that particular day but often is something that has to be figured in.  We are into the 6th season of The Closer and the 3rd of Downton Abbey and I like to keep that activity going as well as my daily reading aloud.  We are reading Donna Tartt’s “The Goldfinch” (fiction) and Naomi Wolf’s “Vagina: a New Biography” (nonfiction).  Our lives have a good rhythm and I don’t want to disturb our evenings to fit it writing a post.  I don’t think that is what retirement is for.


--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby