Sunday, April 14, 2013

Maya Angelou lifts peoples' spirits

I received quite a few comments from people on the importance of Maya Angelou and how she has touched lives.  I don't look at Facebook.  I didn't watch Oprah much when she had a late afternoon show and I only recently learned that the OWN (Oprah Winfrey Network) channel is available on my cable.  More than one friend has advised me to watch her Sunday morning "Super Soul Sunday" sessions, which often include excellent spiritual and inspirational people.  I became a little more conscious of the Oprah magazine after I found that a writer I admired had a regular column in it. Several friends told me that Maya Angelou has been a close friend and advisor to Oprah for a long time. 

Here are some comments from blog readers:
"Interesting when one stops to take note" - Certainly applies to me.  I am only now learning what an amazing woman Angelou is.  I was intrigued by the description of Maya's life on Wikipedia.  I doubt that many professors of American studies have been pimps, prostitutes, dancers, European instructors of dance, cast members and show dancers there, read their own poems at U.S. presidential inaugurations and been house guests of high-level people in the US, Egypt, Ghana, Senegal, Latin America and Europe.

"Since reading "I know Why The Caged Bird Sings" Maya Angelou has been with us! It touched me then and still does. Hope you'll read Maya's lovely poem "Phenomenal Woman" to each other. Thanks for the excerpt from "Letter to My Daughter"."

"My niece introduced me to her writings and I've always enjoyed her stories.  She's a great lady."

Prof. Paula DeHart wrote: "Maya Angelou was also interviewed very recently on public radio, she is pretty amazing.  I think many people came to know her through her friendship with Oprah, who had her on her show many times.  I have read or listened, on tape, to most of her books—she usually does the reading herself, and her powerful voice can make anything seem significant! Thanks for highlighting her in your blog, she has much life wisdom to offer!"
--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby