Sunday, February 17, 2013

Litotes, humbuggers and stress

There is a famous character in literature, French literature, I think, who is surprised and pleased to find that he has been speaking, not poetry, but prose all his life.  Similarly, I am surprised to discover the my parents, my family and me have been using litotes all our lives.  In certain groups, nearly every sentence is litotical. "Lototes" is the name given to an utterance that uses the opposite of a term to describe something.  When my wife asks if I love her, and I say,"Well, I sure don't hate you", I am being stupid but litotical.  When I say,"Man, it is hot out" to mean that it is very cold outside, another litotes has appeared.

litotical - Wiktionary en.wiktionary.org/wiki/litotical English. Adjective. litotical (comparative more litotical, superlative most litotical). Of or pertaining to litotes

I can't say how many people have asked me about this word.
---------------------------------------
Humbuggers - a term created by the lawyer, lawyer prof and dean and writer Toni Bernhard to refer to the many people in the world that more or less apply the label "humbug" to everything.  Deny-ers, critics, doubters, dislikers, people who are against most everything.  What a great word! I applaud Prof. Bernhard, author of the book "How to Be Sick."
---------------------------------------
The stress of retirement - the stress of retirement requires a good meditation practice - too many choices, too many needs, too many fun ideas, too many causes you absolutely MUST support.  Support?  Just "support"? You can do better!  You need to petition!  You need to demonstrate!  When  demonstrating, you need to carry a sign.  A good sign, with good, catchy, original art and a good catchy original slogan.  Now, what color should the background be?

Before we were interested, beguiled really, by an empty calendar.  We had no obligations and could do anything we wanted.  What did we want?  Just to relax.  Just to enjoy whatever.  Sometime later, "whatever" got a little boring.  Ok, we will join that committee.  Yes, we will bake those muffins and get them there in time for the event.  Sure, we can miss the broadcast we like since we have recorded it.  Then, ooops!  Too many recordings to ever sit through.  No space on our formerly empty calendar.  We are searching for a therapist who can help us deal with the stress that emerged from retirement.  

Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby