Friday, October 21, 2011

my own software

One hallmark of modern life is a greater awareness of the influence of the investigator, the teacher, the actual situation.  A saying in Buddhist thinking is "Don't confuse a finger pointing to the moon with the moon."  You might think that such a confusion is nearly impossible but in language and thought, confusions like that can sneak up on us and cause trouble.  The famous Heisenberg uncertainty principle in physics, postmodernism, scientific experiments that seek to eliminate or lessen the influence of judgment and feelings on evidence, and historians in nearly any branch of history are some examples of such efforts.  Efforts to recognize that the investigator, the writer, the humans involved in any endeavor often influence results and records.  They may select camera angles, words, timing, spacing that create impressions that are only some of what is possible and honest.

I continue to be interested in highlighting clearly the essence of mindful practices.  Such practices can be described in many ways, from simple directions to sit still and focus the mind on one's breath to broader statements to look at what is in front of you and face deeply the present moment, looking at this computer message, seeing and feeling what is happening right now.  

The benefits of doing so regularly are incredible.  As outlined in the amazing book, "The Mindfulness Revolution" by Barry Boyce (ed.) and nearly every important author on the subject in this country,

When we learn how to use this simple tool and find for ourselves what it can do, it seems miraculous. It can transform boredom into curiosity, distressed restlessness into ease, and negativity into gratitude. Using mindfulness, we will find that anything —anything—we bring our full attention to will begin to open up and reveal worlds we never suspected existed. In all my experience as a physician and a Zen teacher, I have never found anything to equal it. -Jan Chozen Bays, MD


Boyce, Barry; Barry Boyce; Jon Kabat-Zinn; Daniel Siegel; Thich Nhat Hanh; Jack Kornfield (2011-03-15). The Mindfulness Revolution (A Shambhala Sun Book) Shambhala Publications. Kindle Edition.


Mindfulness practice improves my awareness of my own mind: what I am doing with it, what sort of thoughts have arisen, what I am attending to.  That mind of mine is always a factor in what I sense, what I think, and what I feel.  I am richer when I can see how it is behaving.





--
Bill
Main blog: Fear, Fun and Filoz
Main web site: Kirbyvariety


Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby