Monday, May 31, 2021

Hit by a storm

I was hit by a negative emotional storm the other day.  I am not sure what brought it on.  Normally, I feel happy and connected to others and the world.  I usually see the whole enterprise of life as merry and worthwhile.
 
I realize that everything is not all peaches and cream.  I saw “Slumdog Millionaire” and have seen scenes and descriptions of the slums around some of the big cities of the world. I started a chapter of Amnesty International and I know a little of the misery visited on people for purely political and ideological reasons. 
 
I have been working on myself to stay alert and to face myself and the world openly.  I’ve been trying to let myself fully know what I actually think and actually feel, even if I am not pleased or accepting of some feelings, desires or thoughts.
 
The storm that struck was a bit vague but fairly strong and gripping.  I felt very sad but it was not clear why or about what.  I had been listening to Parker Palmer’s description of what bad, dense, clinical depression feels like.  I had visited my quite aged parents-in-law and witnessed their renewed realization that they are limited and hampered in everything.   I had begun “Schulz and Peanuts” and read of his icy mother and his worries about not ever really getting deeply loved by her.  I had been listening to the story of Mozart and his genius and frustrations it brought.  Maybe it was some combination of all that.
 
A friend asked if I have been keeping up on exercise.  Another said she suspected fear of death had crept into my mind.  Now, I seem to have lost the sadness, the feeling that nothing is worthwhile.  I feel again the futility of feeling that all is futile, of using energy to elicit or sustain gloom.  I can choose not to do that just now and I am exercising my rights.
 
 

Popular Posts

Follow @olderkirby